What Can Be Recycled
Please put recyclables out on the same day as trash (both by 7:00 AM) during the weeks marked on the calendar.
Please follow the schedule for your color bin (Blue or Green).
- Items that can be recycled in your curbside bin
- Items that can be recycled at various drop-off locations
- More Information & Composting
- Trash Talk
Type accepted: Food and Beverage Cans, Aluminum foil. Empty and rinse containers (no food!). Labels are OK.
Type accepted: The numbers on plastics are not great indicators of whether something can be recycled. If they are clean and empty plastic bottles, jars, jugs or tubs, they are what we are looking for. Empty and replace cap. Labels are OK.
Not accepted: Styrofoam is NOT recyclable. Place these items in the trash. Plastic bags are NOT recyclable in your curbside bin. Do not bag recyclables.
Type accepted: Clear and colored glass, all sizes. Rinse and remove lids. Labels are OK.
Paper & Cardboard
Type accepted: All types of paper, envelopes, phone books, cardboard, boxes, and glossy paper.
Not accepted: Paper/cardboard milk cartons, juice cartons, and broth type packaging are NOT recyclable. Place these items in the trash.
Food or liquid can contaminate recyclable materials. Please empty and rinse food containers before placing them into your recycling bin.
Hoses, wires, batteries, glassware, light bulbs, mirrors, window glass, spray cans, motor oil cans, window frames, house siding, chemical containers, and electronics do NOT belong in your curbside recycling bin.
Plastic bags are a major problem at Materials Recovery Facilities — those processing your recyclables. Plastic bags bind up machinery at the sorting facility, decreasing efficiency, increasing costs, and creating a safety risk to workers. Most Medford & surrounding area supermarkets accept plastic bags and wraps for recycling at no cost. Visit the Wrap Recycling Action Council to find a nearby drop-off location. If no stores near you accept plastic bags and wraps for recycling, throw these items in the trash.
Clothing and Textile Recycling
Bagged clothing and other acceptable textiles can be dropped off at collection bins located at each of Medford’s Public Schools. Donated items are collected by Bay State Textiles and generate funding for each school’s PTO.
Textile Drop-Box Locations:
-Curtis/Tufts School: 437 Main Street. In the back parking lot there are two drop boxes near the entrance to the basketball court.
-McGlynn Elementary and Middle School: 3002 Mystic Valley Parkway.
In front of the school.
-Missituk Elementary School: 37 Hicks Avenue. Left of the front door.
Appliances and Electronics
White goods, appliances and electronics can be recycled through the City of Medford. These items require a disposal sticker, available for $26 from the Department of Public Works (DPW), office. You may purchase stickers in person at City Hall Room 304 (DPW), or you may mail a check and details regarding the item to be recycled. Mail to:
Medford City Hall
DPW, Room 304
85 George P. Hassett Drive
Many area retailers, like Best Buy and Staples, also have drop-off recycling programs for electronics at no charge. Visit their websites for information regarding acceptable items and individual retailer program limitations. Is it OK to link to Staples & Best Buy?
Mercury-bearing items, such as button cell batteries, cell phones, CF bulbs, and thermometers, can be recycled at City Hall Room 304 (DPW). Fluorescent tube lights are also accepted for recycling. Note that fluorescent tube drop-offs are limited to those no more than 4 feet long, with a maximum of 4 tubes per drop-off. If bulbs are broken, please call the DPW 781-393-2417 to schedule a pick up.
Ni-Cad Battery and Cell Phone Drop-off
Nickel-cadmium rechargeable batteries and cellular phones may be recycled at City Hall Room 304 (DPW). Ni-Cad batteries are commonly found in camcorders, cordless and cell phones. Cell phones will be shipped off-site and recycled. For more information, please call the DPW at 781-393-2417.
- Waste Management Trash & Recycling Schedule 2022
- Trash must be out by curb by 7 a.m. morning of collection
- Trash collection will be delayed one day during a holiday week
- Household trash consists of food waste, clothing, soiled items, unwanted items, etc. Glass, aluminum, plastic, etc. can be recycled
- Bedding, furniture, bulk items require an appointment – please call 800-972-4545 for collection
- Building materials will not be collected -please contact a private hauler to remove these items. Building materials consist of of: windows, doors, paneling, 2×4’s, sinks, toilets, bathtubs, etc.
- Propane tanks will not be collected: Please take to B.J.’s Warehouse on Middlesex Ave or a local swap store for a filled tank
- Shrubs, hedges and tree limbs over 3’ and 3” diameter will not be collected
- No hazardous material: There is a HHP (Household Hazardous Product) drop-off open to Medford residents in Lexington.
- Rugs and carpeting may be put out curbside; must be rolled and tied- please call WM for bulk collection 800-972-4545
- Trash must be in proper refuse containers i.e. green or blue barrels issued by the city
- Lawnmowers and snow blowers will be collected- please remove fuel tank