It is the mission of the building department to provide the highest standard of public safety through inspection of all buildings and structures in the City of Medford, enforcement of the State Building Code, plumbing, gas, electrical codes, and all pertinent regulations of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Our office regulates property rights and uses to all stakeholders by enforcing the zoning ordinance dimensional controls and property uses. We are the custodians of building records in the City of Medford. We remain forever vigilant in the safety and welfare of all inhabitants of the City of Medford.
- Building applications must be submitted online.
- To search for all permits, past and present, click "apply here" (above) and choose search
- No work on any project may commence until a building permit card is issued to the applicant.
- Any requests or inquiries regarding the legal zoning status of an existing building, or any future, potential uses must be submitted in writing to the Building Commissioner.
- Plumbing and gas permit applications may be submitted via mail, however please be aware that applications submitted by mail may require a longer processing time.
- All contractors filing applications for Building, Electrical, Plumbing and Gas permits must register their licenses with the City- please include your driver’s license for identity purposes.
- All inspections are made directly with the inspectors during their office hours.
- Accepted payment methods: cash, check or money order.
- To file a permit application, all forms must be filled out in their entirety.
Building Department FAQ's
Contractor License Information
To check on licenses for plumbers and gas fitters:
Please visit the: MA Division of Professional Licensure website.
To check on licenses for plumbers and gas fitters: Please visit the: MA Division of Professional Licensure website.
Please visit the: Check an Occupational Board License
City Hall: Room 115A
William L. Forte, CBO
Monday: 8:30 - 4:30
Tuesday: 8:30 - 4:30
Wednesday: 8:30 - 7:30
Thursday: 8:30 - 4:30
Friday: 8:30 - 12:30
Monday: 8:30 - 10 & 3:00 – 4:30
Tuesday: 8:30 - 10 & 3:00 – 4:30
8:30 - 10 & 3:00 - 7:30
Thursday: 8:30 - 10 & 3:00 – 4:30
Friday: 8:30 - 10 & 12 - 12:30
Building Department Staff
Code Enforcement Officer
Plumbing & Gas Inspector
Code Enforcement Officer / Sealer of Weights & Measures
Building Inspector / Sealer of Weights & Measures
Sign up for the City's FREE Alert System!
Subscribe to the city's free alert system and stay in the loop on city events, important news, and services!