The Energy and Environment Office (E&E) is responsible for overseeing and implementing environmentally sound programs in the City of Medford. In cooperation with other departments and organizations, the E&E office works to improve energy efficiency, air quality, climate change protection, wetlands protection, open space conservation, and storm water management.
The City of Medford has a long list of firsts and initiatives in energy and environment activities starting with the first municipal Climate Action Plan (PDF) in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Its most prominent “first” is the first municipal scale wind turbine in the Commonwealth. The city tries to work closely with residents and the Medford Clean Energy Committee was instrumental in building the Medford wind turbine.
- The Medford Energy Committee is comprised of residents and staff to work on energy and environment projects in the city and to assist with resident outreach.
- The E&E Office assists in protecting Medford’s rivers, streams, wetlands and open space with the Medford Conservation Commission.
- The E&E Office works with the Medford Department of Public Works to execute Medford’s Storm Water Management Program. This program is in accordance with the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Phase II Program of the US Environmental Protection Agency.
- The E&E Office had a Federal Stimulus Energy Efficiency Community Block Grant (EECBG) to retrofit energy efficiency upgrades in the City’s Elementary and Middle Schools. This work was overseen by the Energy Efficiency Coordinator.
Resources, Information, and Events
- Latest News & Events
- Harvest Your Energy Festival
- Medford Green Awards
- Like us on Facebook
- Go Green Medford
Buy a compost bin through the city and save money! Find out more here.
- Community Preservation Act
- Medford Energy Committee
- Local Energy Action Plan (LEAP) 2012
- Medford’s wind turbine
- Medford Conservation Commission
- Idle Free Medford
- Storm Water Management
- Resources and Links
- Medford Energy Committee- Meeting Agendas and Meeting Minutes
- Ordinances, Policies, and Plans
- In the News
The City of Medford’s Energy & Environment Office has received the following awards and designations: