As one of the first grant recipients from the Complete Streets Funding Program, the City of Medford has initiated and advanced the layout and design of the following seven (7) complete streets improvements:
- The intersection of Main Street and Medford Street near Tufts Pool and Park: Improvements to traffic flow and pedestrian safety
- Boston Avenue: Bicycle improvements from High Street to Broadway
- Medford Square (Salem St. at Ashland St.): Pedestrian safety improvements
- Pedestrian and vehicle safety improvements at Haines Square
- At Winthrop Circle, traffic calming and pedestrian safety improvements
- At the Brooks School, school crossing safety improvements at the existing crosswalk
- In West Medford Square, on High Street at Warren, pedestrian safety improvements
All but Haines Square have been approved for funding via the Complete Streets Funding Program. We plan to fund the Haines Square improvements via MassDOT’s Chapter 90 program.
Last November the consultant team, led by Environmental Partners Group, conducted site visits and surveys; worked with City personnel to review and refine the original design concepts; presented these refined concepts to the Complete Streets Committee and relevant City staff for review and further refinement; and coordinated with other design projects such as Tufts’ intersection improvements at the intersection of Boston and College Avenues. The efforts we are making are intended to ‘shake-out’ flaws and/or conflicts such that our projects will work for all users: pedestrians, cyclists, and motor vehicle operators.
Public Information Sessions are planned for February 22 at 6:30 p.m. at the South Medford Fire Station, 0 Medford Street regarding Salem Street and Boston Ave projects and March 2 at 7:00 p.m. at the Brooks Elementary School, 388 High Street to discuss the remaining projects. Haines Square discussions will proceed independently.
“These road improvements will increase the safety of vehicular transportation, cyclists, walkers and automobiles,” said Department of Public Works Commissioner Brian Kerins, “The City of Medford and our Department of Public Works will continue to work diligently to create safer and cleaner roadways throughout our community and by utilizing this funding we will see that these projects reach their completion.”
Once the meetings conclude, we will advance the projects through final design, refining them further if need be, and we will bid and award the work to a qualified contractor. We intend to start construction in late spring and complete the work as soon as practicable.
In addition, the following 2017 road projects are planned to take place once the complete streets projects are finished:
- High Street from Auburn Street to Playstead Road
- Salem Street from City Hall Mall Road to Main Street
The following 2017 projects will take place in the spring:
- Salem Street from Park Street to Cherry Street
- Riverside Ave from Clipper Ship Drive to Main Street
- Auburn Street
- Playstead Road from Madison Ave to West Medford Square
- Intersection of Harvard Street/Main Street & Harvard St.to (from Willis Ave.)
“We’re thrilled that the City can utilize the Complete Streets funding and that we are making improvements to additional roadways through Chapter 90 funding,” said Mayor Stephanie M. Burke. “Designing our streets with the complete streets principles contributes toward safety, health, economic viability and quality of life for pedestrian and vehicular environments allowing for greater accessibility throughout the City.”