Mayor Michael J. McGlynn,present and former members of the Department of Public Works, State Representative Paul Donato, School Committee member John Falco, and City Councillors Rick Caraviello, Robert Penta and Michael Marks were present at today’s demolition ceremony of Medford’s old DPW yard. Former DPW Director John “Jack” Buckley, the present Project Manager for the new DPW Yard, and the present acting DPW Director Paul Gere were also in attendance.
The Medford Municipal Garage, its original name, was built as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) Project and was dedicated in 1937. The building cost $219,629, with Medford paying $79,486 for materials and engineering and the federal government paying the rest. All work was performed by WPA labor. The Art Deco style “Medford Municipal Garage” sign will be preserved for future use.
Photos by Community Development Director Lauren DiLorenzo